On Sun, February 26, 2012 1:19 pm, Tom Boutell wrote:
> Bump - this is still a live issue on Ubuntu 11.10, for instance.
>
> I just hacked my Ubuntu PHP-from-source installer to touch up the
> Makefile by prepending -lstdc++ to EXTRA_LIBS. That does the job.
>
> Which I knew more about autoconf, I'd like to help figure this out
> properly so everyone doesn't wind up maintaining hacks to compile PHP
> from source. It discourages a very large community from trying new
> releases.
>
> Is this perhaps because some of the code being included in the PHP
> build happens to be C++ code? (Not readily apparent from the outside
> of course.)

I believe core PHP is all in C.

Extensions, however, could be in C++

And if one extension has forgotten to edit the Makefiles to do
-lstdc++ I presume that it could be the cause.

I'd even hazard a guess that it would only surface if one disabled
other extensions that generally PRECEDE it in the configure / make
process, as once the -lstdc++ is in there, it remains for the rest of
the build process.  This is just a guess, however...

At any rate, if you could eliminate each extension, one by one, you
might find the culprit, assuming my guesses are valid.

No promises anything I have said is even "correct" in any way.

--
brain cancer update:
http://richardlynch.blogspot.com/search/label/brain%20tumor