On Tue, February 28, 2012 5:17 pm, Kris Craig wrote:

Some cases I would find interesting to be explained:

(using 'streak' for strong and/or weak, feel free to separate the two)

streak int $i = 123.456; //Common idiom for floor()
streak int $i = "123.456"; //In contrast to previous
streak int $i = "1 "; //value="1 " is ridiculously common HTML

It's all well and good to say that any loss of data is "bad" and to
raise some E_* for it, but there are some idioms so common that feel
"wrong" as I consider them...

If everyone "for" the new type hinting/forcing can reach consensus on
these sorts of cases, it would help clarify any RFCs a bit, I think

wrt E_RECOVERABLE_ERROR vs E_WARNING

If current type hinting raises E_RECOVERABLE_ERROR, I have no
objection to following that lead, with the explicit caveat that a
change to the existing type-hinting to E_WARNING, as unlikely as that
seems, would pull the new "streak" with it.

I don't even object to using E_ERROR for the "strong" variant, if that
passes review, really, since "strong" is, errr, strong. :-)

Anybody who doesn't like the E_* can re-define them in a custom error
handler anyway, though allowing PHP to continue after E_ERROR is like
playing russian roulette...

--
brain cancer update:
http://richardlynch.blogspot.com/search/label/brain%20tumor