hi Rasmus,

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 9:12 PM, Rasmus Lerdorf <ras...@lerdorf.com> wrote:

> If everything was UTF-8 we wouldn't have any of these issues.
> Unfortunately that isn't the case. The question is what to do with apps
> that need to deal with non UTF-8 data. Are we going to provide any help
> to them beyond just telling them to convert everything to UTF-8?

That's not really an acceptable solution, obviously.

> We took steps in 5.4 to improve htmlspecialchars to understand more
> encodings and we have the concept of script_encoding and
> internal_encoding that is used both in the engine and in mbstring.
>
> Currently internal_encoding isn't checked by htmlspecialchars. If you
> pass it '' it checks script_encoding and default_charset which is a bit
> odd since neither directly relate to the encoding of the internal data
> you are feeding to it. So maybe a way to tackle this is to use the
> mbstring internal encoding when it is set as the htmlspecialchars
> default when it is called without an encoding arg.

That's why I would prefer to use an existing setting and clearly
document it instead of creating a new ini settings with a totally
different impact than the existing ones. Not sure which one would fit
best tho'.

Reading these last two paragraphs gave me a headache and I did not
know anymore which encoding we were talking about ;-)

Cheers,
--
Pierre