On Sat, May 5, 2012 12:29 pm, Ferenc Kovacs wrote:
> On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 6:32 PM, Richard Lynch <c...@l-i-e.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, April 10, 2012 1:13 pm, John Crenshaw wrote:
>> >In
>> > most systems you can upload *anything* with a .jpg extension and
>> the
>> > app will take it, so you can still include the file
>>
>> People don't use imagecreatefromjpeg() to be sure it isn't some ware
>> or executable or PHP script disguised as a JPEG?!
>>
>> That's just crazy.
>>
>> And inexcusable in a framework.
>>
>> Somebody might be able to craft a "JPEG" that validates and still
>> manages to somehow parse some PHP in the middle... Probably using
>> JPEG
>> comments so it's easier.
>>

> yeah, and injecting php code through the jpeg comments isn't new also,
> see
> http://ha.ckers.org/blog/20070604/passing-malicious-php-through-getimagesize/
> but
> I bet I could find even older posts discussing the topic.
> so imo the correct remedy for this situation is to prevent your
> uploaded
> files to be executed at the first place, instead of trying to write an
> error-prone method to detect malicious content inside your uploaded
> media
> files.

getImageSize is not better than file Info...

If the whole thing parses as an image with imagecreatefromjpeg() I
should think that's a bit tougher to create a hack that works.

Then one can strip off the exif info with the comments, I believe.

And, yes, ideally one would keep images in a totally separate
directory not even in the webtree... Which I do, but some folks can
bear the cost of passing the image "through" PHP.

--
brain cancer update:
http://richardlynch.blogspot.com/search/label/brain%20tumor