Zeev has an excellent point here, my own research shows that 5.4, a
year after release had somewhere in the 2% adoption rate. The major
reason being is the lack of a stable, production ready op-code cache.
To release 5.5 without a good solution for that problem, would not
make the situation better, if anything it would make it very
intimidating to users to jump 2-3 versions directly to 5.6. Thus
leaving us with a massive user base running legacy, unsupported
versions containing unresolved bugs and vulnerabilities. Something,
which I don't think would be a very good thing for the future of PHP.

Ultimately, I think it is better to wait a month or two (if that is
what it takes) and have a solid release people can safely upgrade
their production environments to, rather than strictly adhere to a set
release cycle and delivery a partial solution.