On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 5:31 PM, Rasmus Lerdorf <ras...@lerdorf.com> wrote:
> On 03/07/2013 08:26 AM, Pierre Joye wrote:
>
>> That being said, if o+ would have 2/3 of the votes, I think it is
>> possible to get it stable until 5.5 final, not easy but possible.
>
> We already covered that. An opcode cache doesn't affect the language
> itself. There is no new syntax and no BC issues. Much like a performance
> improvement patch that has no effect on the language syntax doesn't need
> 2/3. Whether it is "major" or not, doesn't matter per the established
> voting process. You can't both be a stickler for the details of this
> process and then ignore them when they become inconvenient for you.

btw, I would even have included phar as affecting the language, as
even if you don't use it at all in your code, it affects how php
behaves. We had many issues related to phar while it was not used at
all in the code (due to the hooks). That's not exactly the same thing
than o+ but it has the same kind of possible impacts.

--
Pierre

@pierrejoye