On Thu, 2013-06-27 at 09:52 -0700, Christopher Jones wrote:

> Did you review all the previous mail list discussion about the patch?
> IIRC there were a bunch of reasons it never got merged.

what we never merged for reasons is large file support. So 32bit
machines can use files >2G. The patches there open a can of worm with
libraries/environments we link to and where we might exchange file
pointers.

Besides the binary compatibility and required review and testing there
is no such reason here. The biggest issue here is that people might be
careful about changing request handling as that's quite central to PHP
and a bug there can lead to remote exploitable bugs, but doing this
early, like now for 5.6, should be fine.

joahnnes