On 10/07/2013 12:49 PM, Johannes Schlüter wrote:
On Mon, 2013-10-07 at 08:38 +0100, Joe Watkins wrote:
        I brought it up in IRC the other day and someone, I forget who, but
recognized them at the time, said they'd rather see it in 5.7, then a
few people joined in the discussion and I couldn't really argue with
their reasoning.

When I brought this up I was on my current primary rant. Even small
additions to the language have an impact on tools, best practices, ...
which have to be explored about how to use them and how those interact
with each other.

To be clear: I love anonymous classes, I always wanted them when using
FilterIterator etc. (while meanwhile generators+closures might be a
better tool for some of those use cases) But we are moving extremely
fast in reshaping the language making it hard for our users, of which
many -- in my assumption -- primarily want a stable platform, to keep
up.

Oh and talking about "stable platform". Current bug count: 3891

See also my previous message on that subject:
http://news.php.net/php.internals/69093

johannes

The observation that even a small patch has an impact, or can have an impact is valid. But then to talk about adoption time turns your reasoning a bit circular: adoption does take time, if we want for adoption to take place then the earlier a patch gets merged the better, regardless of the complexity of the patch.

I did see your "rant", though it's not really a rant; perfectly valid observations. Still, I don't know what you hope to achieve by pointing out the differences between the development of C or Java, and PHP: progress plotted on a graph nobody would expect to see any kind of relationship or commonality between these languages. So while they are valid observations they aren't really relevant.

The bug count is a bit shameful, some effort should obviously be spent on bugs ...

Cheers
Joe