On 8/21/14, 11:09 AM, Levi Morrison wrote:
Every time we break BC — in either of the ways Derick said — we narrow
the subset of PHP 5 and PHP 7 that's available to people writing PHP
code that has to work on both. If we narrow it too far, it'll be too
unexpressive, or too hard to use, or just plain won't do something
that they'll need, and PHP 7 will risk becoming this decade's Perl 6:
the cautionary tale for what happens when you burn all the boats.

I agree with this idea principle.

I disagree that these RFCs are breaking so much backwards
compatibility to create the next Perl 6.

Cumulatively they could easily break BC in the way Derick mentioned.
BC issues will mount up unless a higher level overview is considered
about the release.

--
christopher.jo...@oracle.com  http://twitter.com/ghrd
Free PHP & Oracle book: