On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 1:10 AM, Andrea Faulds <a...@ajf.me> wrote:

> Good evening,
>
> Since phpng, int64, and perhaps other future changes in PHP 7 are a pretty
> big change, I think we ought to bump the major version number of the Zend
> Engine, from Zend Engine 2 to Zend Engine 3.
>
> I have a pull request open which would do this, although it needs updating
> to correct extensions checking for ZEND_ENGINE_2:
> https://github.com/php/php-src/pull/829
>
> Are there any objections to the idea? I realise work on the engine isn’t
> done, but that doesn’t mean we can’t name the new version. After all, we’ve
> named PHP 7, and it doesn’t exist yet, either.
>
> Thoughts?

Why do we need this define at all? Imho extensions should be checking
against the API version, rather than a ZEND_ENGINE_N constant. This is more
precise (it's not like extension code stays the same between minor
versions), but the ZEND_ENGINE_N constant also has the problem that it
targets only 5.x, even though the code it guards would usually be relevant
to 7.x as well.

Nikita