On 8 January 2015 at 01:39, Markus Fischer <mar...@fischer.name> wrote:
> On 08.01.15 02:14, Johannes Schlüter wrote:
>> On Wed, 2015-01-07 at 17:01 -0500, Mark Montague wrote:
>>> I'd like to start an RFC (see the draft proposal at the end of this
>>> message) for adding
>>> journald support to PHP on Linux systems that use systemd.  This message
>>> is to
>>> measure reaction to the intended proposal prior to requesting RFC karma.
>>
>> I believe the sd_journal_* functions could go in a PECL version, for the
>> logging I'd love if logging could be cleanup in a way that we have a
>> good internal API for internal use as well as integrates with userlevel
>> expectations (-> PSR 3 Log)
>
> That would have been my reaction too, but looking at the diff it plays
> on the same level as the "syslog" logging, i.e. it's integral in the
> system in parts where a PECL extensions couldn't reach ...

I think that's Johannes's point, though: if we can extend our internal
logging API to support these special case log file names in a central
place and allow extensions to register new ones, then journald support
could be implemented as an extension and we wouldn't have to touch
those bits of code.

I'd probably be -1 on the patch as it stands (this doesn't need to be
in php-src right now; syslog has the advantage of being a standard
cross-platform interface, which this isn't), but +1 on doing the work
to support that.

Adam