Hi Markus,

> On 2 Feb 2015, at 14:25, Markus Fischer <mar...@fischer.name> wrote:
>
> - Since consensus on the strict mode does part the community (or, the
> greater community also outside @internals) my impression is that the
> current best way to move forward would be
>
> - get the rfc to only go for weak types for now
> - using the "cast-like syntax": function foo( (int) $bar );
>
> and ultimately keep the strict type out for /now/ and try it at a later
> time, the "function foo( int $bar )"-syntax.

I’m not sure that really works that well. It’s not a terribly good compromise:
If you want strict typing, you not only haven’t got it, but even worse, you’ll
be forced to deal with weak typing if you use the wrong library, because the
(int) syntax would be specifically for weak types. It’s not really a compromise
at all, actually.

> I'm actually not really in favor of just weak types, I would consider
> myself a "strict type" voter, but through the community communication
> here I saw a) the benefits of weak types hinting/casting b) without
> getting in the way of a possible future strict type (e.g. with the
> "non-cast-like syntax”).

Well this RFC tries to strike a different balance: rather than having the chaos
of some functions using weak types, others strict types, others both, it just
adds scalar types and lets you choose the behaviour that suits you. It means
weak typing fans can live in their weakly-typed world, and strict typing fans
can live in their strictly-typed world. That’s the idea, anyway.

But I’m just going in circles at this point. :P

Thanks for your contributions.

--
Andrea Faulds
http://ajf.me/