Hi Christoph,

> On 2 Feb 2015, at 22:38, Christoph Becker <cmbecke...@gmx.de> wrote:
>
> And frankly, I don't see what's wrong with a weak type hint in this case:
>
>  function addVat(float $amount) {...}
>
> You're returning a float, anyway.

Given you’re dealing with currency, and given the fairly serious issues with
precision loss with int->float conversions and vice-versa… I would be highly
concerned if you used a weak type hint there.

> OTOH, strict type hints would require a lot of manual conversions.

Sure, they do. But they’re *explicit* manual conversions, ones you can easily
grep for and that are obvious when reading code.

--
Andrea Faulds
http://ajf.me/