Hi Lester,

> On 2 Feb 2015, at 23:46, Lester Caine <les...@lsces.co.uk> wrote:
>
> Andrea ... I am still unhappy that this is being pushed as the core
> 'integer' handling. Further options have appeared for 32bit devices
> which are driving me to seriously consider perhaps having to look into a
> simple 64bit maths solution to BIGINT on 32 bit devices. But simply
> getting interbase extension compiling clean with master is enough work
> without having to add other speculative work that is further detracting
> from the real job of getting into a state where I could even use PHP7 in
> production. Just what work IS required to build this in parallel with my
> almost working PHP7 development platform ... will all the third party
> extensions also need work, such as imagick which I still don't have a
> clean copy off yet.

Yes, most extensions will need some updating, but from what I have seen, the
changes needed are very small (maybe a few lines) in most cases, unless you’re
porting ext/gmp or something.

> Since a clean 64bit build of PHP does not need anything other than
> 'integer' to support 64bit BIGINT SQL numbers, loading 32bit builds with
> an overly heavy solution is just not right!

I don’t see how it’s “overly heavy”. Bear in mind that several extensions (not
just ext/gmp) already require GMP anyway.

> 'longint' only needs an
> extension to provide it, which can then be replaced by properly crafted
> code for devices that already have 256bit and better maths capability
> anyway.

GMP provides high-performance, optimised SIMD assembly implementations for most
platforms.

--
Andrea Faulds
http://ajf.me/