On 11.08.2015 at 22:08, Yasuo Ohgaki wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 4:59 AM, Yasuo Ohgaki <yohg...@ohgaki.net> wrote:
>
>> Distributions prefer to use system's libraries. I suppose question is if
>> PHP
>> supports older systems such as RHEL/CentOS 5 or not. They are used widely.
>> I prefer to support them if it is possible/feasible. Features that are not
>> supported
>> by libs could be documentation issues.  IMO.

Well, of course we can document all these details, but see, for
instance, <http://www.php.net/manual/en/libxml.constants.php> – hard to
document, hard to remember, and hard to implement for apps which are
supposed to run in different environments.  At least we should try to
reduce the divergence as much as possible (i.e. without introducing BC
breaks in revisions).

> BTW, I don't think we should support very old libraries for new major
> release.

ACK.  IMHO requiring PCRE >= 8.0 would be fine for PHP 7.

--
Christoph M. Becker