From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, May 13, 2002 6:31 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Alternative to Microsoft Passport: Sunshine vs Hai

Brent,

All this is interesting (from a theoretical point of view), but forgive
me if I think that the entire concept of your ActiveCheckout applet
misses the boat - in the real world. It is a well-established fact that
the least secure part of the "Internet world" is the majority of PCs
from which average users access cyberspace; most users have neither the
skill NOR THE INTEREST to properly protect their systems, and the advent
of DSL and cable modem connection (with their permanent I.P. addresses)
has obviously made the situation even far worse!

As a result, the *worst* possible tack to take, IMHO, is to maintain
users' personal information (credit card numbers, etc.) on their own
machines - you might as well tattoo that information on their foreheads!
Frankly, I believe that your company has made exactly the same mistake
as Microsoft, which caused them to become so vilified - you have
emphasized convenience over security. Try to imagine that it is not
necessarily a "good thing" for users to have that level of convenience
when purchasing something online - and before you jump into the fray and
start arguing this point with me from a theoretical basis, take note of
the fact that, in a recent and very comprehensive study carried out by
U.C.L.A., it was found that *91%* of online users rated themselves as
being somewhat or totally uncomfortable with the idea of passing their
financial information online at all! That is NOT a minor blip which can
be overcome by convincing all those misguided people that they're wrong
to be afraid, because of this "great new technology" or that ...

Ask me sometime if I believe that there will EVER be a secure way to
store or transmit personal information safely online ...

Cheers,

John Vinokur
President
Payment Central Inc.