List,

An oddity in the 3D Secure protocol is in my opinion that the
"final" and "critical" transaction is routed through the user's browser.

Working for years with systems like OBI, Punchout, OCI where
the final message is a purchase order, I note that these system are
characterized by sending the final transaction server-to-server.

This is based on the idea that your purchasing system (or in the case
of 3D your bank) is a "business system" helping, and monitoring your
business processes which means that it should now about problems
before the you do (If a 3D transaction fails, your bank will know nothing,
and since a failure can occurr anywhere, there are situations were no one
will know what's happened).

Interactivity is by no means hampered by this arrangement, it just
means one [optional] step more communication-wise but with greatly
improved tracibility.

Cheers,
Anders

If you want, you can try out https://buyer.x-obi.com/BuyerASP/buyer
and verify that ending a shopping-session in the business-system-end is
not at all bad, rather the contrary.  Takes some 10-15 minutes to perform.