Lynn,

your postings are pretty long-winding so they are hard to grip but
the thing I considered "solved" was that a relying party would
use a received login ticket to actually impersonate the client somewhere
else.  As SAML tickets are just time-stamped, a target
(relying party) ID was added to thwart such uses.  Regarding
SSO authentication "leakage" I don't think I have much to say
as there could be any numbers of _implementation_ flaws
which I do not bother too much with when designing _protocols_.
But I sure do when it comes to _products_ of course...

BTW, OBI Express as well as .PAY use a challenge-response-
and Web Service Discovery-extended version of SAML, which
eliminates ticket reply and dependency on synchronized server-
clocks, as well as offering enhanced robustness versus URL-
breakage and a better user-interface in case of relying party
server-errors.  Run it in "debug" mode to see all the gory stuff:
https://buyer.x-obi.com/BigCars/Default

I just saw the definition of SSO, but this is not the only one :-).
Using an electronic ID-card and SSL client-authentication
to multiple independent authorities (a scandinavian thing),
a citizen must type the card PIN-code at each site but I would
still call it SSO.  But if you would like to call it something
else I can probably live with that too...  Semi-SSO?  :-)

Anders