http://www.informationweek.com/story/IWK20021212S0010

Patenting The Process Dec. 16, 2002

Who owns the methods of E-commerce? Many companies say they do and that
they have the patents to prove it.
By John Soat

"Obviously, if all video on the Web infringes on their patent, you'd think
they'd go after the big guys, but they seem to be going after little
content providers who can't afford to fight them in court. I can't help but
feel like I'm being shaken down by the hi-tech version of Tony Soprano.
..."

Strong words, even for a message board on the Internet. Mitigated, perhaps,
by the poster's nom de Web: Spooky Suicide. And when you find out Mr.
Suicide operates a (self-described) "slightly naughty" Web site known as
"Suicide Girls," you may begin to suspect there's more than a little
pot-versus-kettle syndrome at work here.

But this post is only one of many that have popped up over the last several
weeks, mostly in chat rooms and on message boards frequented by operators
of adult Web sites, in reaction to a company called Acacia Media
Technologies. Acacia has contacted the companies to advise them that
they're violating Acacia's patents for accessing or downloading digital
video and/or audio over the Internet, and they must license the technology.
Included in the communications are explanations of the patents and a
royalty schedule for payments. Acacia has filed lawsuits alleging patent
infringement against 27 adult-entertainment companies, though none of the
suits has yet been served.

... snip