as discussed in the rest of this thread and the side thread
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/aepay10.htm#78 ssl certs
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/aepay10.htm#79 ssl certs

is that the whole SSL certificate infrastructure is already based on domain
name infrastructure .... w/o any real contractual warrant. The domain name
infrastructure is the authoritative agency for domain name infrastructure.

You can either contact the domain name infrastructure directly w/o
contractual warranty and get the information directly

or

You can have an SSL certificate containing information where the
certification authority has contacted the domain name infrastructure
directly w/o any contractual warranty. There is the possibility that there
is a contractual warranty by the certification authority that it has
reliably contacted the domain name infrastructure with regard to validating
the information. So that is the merchant comfort certificates ... that
certification authorities will possibly warrant that they have contacted
the domain name infrastructure.

from
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#sslcerts

some past merchant comfort certificate threads:
ttp://www.garlic.com/~lynn/aadsm2.htm#mcomfort Human Nature
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/aadsm2.htm#mcomf3 Human Nature
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/aadsm2.htm#useire2 U.S. & Ireland use digital
signature
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/aadsm3.htm#kiss5 Common misconceptions, was Re:
KISS for PKIX. (Was: RE: ASN.1 vs XML (used to be RE: I-D ACTION
:draft-ietf-pkix-scvp- 00.txt))
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/aadsm3.htm#kiss7 KISS for PKIX. (Was: RE: ASN.1
vs XML (used to be RE: I-D ACTION :draft-ietf-pkix-scvp- 00.txt))
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/aadsmail.htm#comfort AADS & X9.59 performance
and algorithm key sizes
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/aadsmore.htm#pkiart2 Public Key Infrastructure:
An Artifact...