we beleive one of the reaons that our earlier proposal for enhancemed
merchant certification didn't catch on was that electronic commerce on the
web has been extremely bi-model; something like 70 percent of the
transactions are done by some 50-60 sites and something like 90 percent of
the transactions are done by 200 sites.

reputational buying decisions are very concentrated for those 90 percent of
the transactions ... i.e. you have done it before, your friends have done
it, it is on the T.V. etc.

the straight forward enhanced certification process provided little or no
additional useful information for the buying decision involving something
like 90 percent of the web transactions. The URL itself was sufficient
recognition and either the current SSL (or the baby step) precluded
fraudulent transactions from ip-address take-over attempts (but none
provided any additional benefit for the myrid of denial of service
exploits). Because of the concentration of transactions the trust has been
widely established for URL for the majority of the transactions.

the financial and economic impact for the 90 percent of transactions on the
internet is in the area of denial of service exploits (attacks on the web
services and/or attacks on the domain name infrastructure). this is because
the transactions are so concentrated and reputational information is
available because the person has made prior purchase, they know somebody
that has made purchases and/or because of TV and other kinds of
advertisement.

the place for enhanced certification process was for the remaining ten
percent of the transactions spread across the millions of remaining web
sites. The problem seemed to be the economic cost/benefit for enhanced
certificate process for the millions of web sites based on it only was a
factor in ten percent or less of all web transactions.

there was some proposal of possibly having an online BBB or some sort of
state/fed licensing board site that would give real time statistics about
complaints, resolutions, etc. This would have meaning for all web sites ...
but specifically for the web sites accounting for 90 percent of the
transaction provide some additional useful information to the consumer
other than straight reputational.

The baby step proposal doesn't preclude en enhanced merchant certification
for enveloping the public key. If the domain name system is attacked then
the environment quickly degenerates to denial of service (whether the
certificate is coming from the domain name infrastructure or from the
merchant).