well the original post wasn't so much about bringing down microsoft but
being able to patent DRM processes and transactions.

for the past 4-5 years the have been repeated articles and press releases
that DRM is the silver bullet for electronic commerce and payments on the
internet. A simple summary of past DRM articles would be that when (and if)
DRM payment transactions on the internet takes off ... that there will be
ten times as many DRM payment transaction as all other payment transactions
combined .... and that whatever internet payment implementation emerges for
DRM would come to dominate the whole payment industry (not just internet
payments).  Whether you believe the thesis as true or not ... DRM related
matters tend to get  some play in the payments industry. The area of
internet payments tends to include things like major market niches that
would result in payments on the internet .... in addition to what might be
the best possible technical solution for doing payments on the internet
(the DRM assurtion would be that it doesn't make any difference what the
best possible solution is ... whatever emerges for DRM will dominate).

so to follow random thread drifts ... we can revert to one of the previous
questions as to whether identity or payment is more important in payments.
simplifying a previous scenario
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/aepay10.htm#76 Invisible ink, e-signatures slow
to broadly catch on

lets say i walk into a store in frankfurt to get a black leather coat. the
clerk has an option to do one:

A) have me insert my passport that has a chip with a x.509v3 identity
certificate and do an online OCSP transaction to see if I'm still me

B) have me insert my payment chip card and do an online x9.59/iso8583
payment transaction to see if they are going to get paid.

In the DRM world of possible enormous numbers of small transactions ...
there is important issue of both efficiency and security. In the past there
was some thot that efficiency significantly dominated security. However
there are issues about using electronic technology to fraudulently
aggregate large numbers of small value DRM transactions resulting in
extremely huge sums.