and of course ... my standard response that it is possible to do digital
signature authentication w/o requiring certificates .... aka corporate
access can be done with radius or kerberos .... using digital signatures
and certificates have nothing at all to do with it (aka frequent
description that you just wave certificates over a bunch of bits and the
rest is magic; digital signature?, digital signature!, we need no #$%
digital sigatnures!!!).

http://www.computerworld.com/securitytopics/security/story/0,10801,76940,00.html

Government Subpoena Sidelines PKI Project

A court order sentences our security manager to two weeks of hard labor
creating forensic images of employee hard drives.

By MATHIAS THURMAN
DECEMBER 23, 2002

Now that my company's wireless LAN project is under control and ready for
deployment, I thought I could start my research project on public-key
infrastructure (PKI). That was before the feds dropped by this week with a
subpoena. But more on that in a moment.

With regard to PKI, I have a feeling that once my company sees the costs
involved, it will more than likely find some way of postponing or even
killing the project. Until that decision is made, however, I'm pressing on
with the feasibility study and will provide some pricing options to the
executive staff. As part of the study, I plan to assemble a list of areas
within the company that I feel could benefit from PKI.

The obvious areas include e-mail, disk and file encryption, and virtual
private network (VPN) access. To further assist me in determining other
areas that would benefit, I've scheduled meetings with representatives from
different departments. I need to understand all the enterprise applications
being used within the company and get a feel as to how receptive key
managers and employees will be to a PKI implementation.

One of the traditional problems with PKI is that most people don't really
understand the technology and how it could benefit them and their
companies. Most of the time, each employee has his own idea or
interpretation of what PKI is and what it can offer. By meeting with key
individuals from each department, I can determine whether PKI might benefit
each area.

For example, in talking with a representative from the professional
services group, I learned that we have a Web-based professional services
automation (PSA) tool, which is currently accessed via a VPN connection
from employee laptops. There is some frustration within the team, as some
of our company engagements are in government facilities that don't allow us
to use our laptops. They do, however, let our consultants use the
government computer systems to access the Internet (go figure). PKI would
allow our employees to obtain a short-term certificate that they could use
to access the PSA tool.

I've spent a considerable amount of time on wireless connectivity within
the company. By using PKI, I can control wireless access by issuing
certificates to those individuals who should be allowed access. The
certificates can be stored in a Universal Serial Bus-type device that's
small enough to fit on a key chain, or the certificates can be stored on
the user's laptop. Once I get a handle on which departments and
applications can benefit, I can formulate a request for information and
submit it to a few PKI integrators. We hope to find one company that can
handle all of our requirements. A PKI implementation will require a
substantial amount of money, however, so at this point, I suspect that we
will back off.

.. snip ..

--
Internet trivia, 20th anv: http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/rfcietff.htm