> >The new Chip and Pin schemes address security in the real
> world while 3-D
> >Secure goes some of the way to address security in the
> on-line world. I have
> >yet to see a cost effective solution for both environments.
>
> This is the interesting part.  In what way is 3D secure more expensive
> to handle than EMV (assuming that on-line controls are performed)?

EMV would be the more expensive option as it requires extra hardware. The
ubiquitous man in the street will not want to fork out for a smart card
reader on their PC and there is no guarantee that they will be able to fit
one anyway. Many people have older PCs that would not be able, for example,
to support USB. There is also the issue that a hardware based solution will
probably not support the full range of devices in the wild. Do you think
that the hardware manufacturers will support, in a cost effective manner,
non-PC environments. A secure browser is available in one form or another on
many platforms, including text only.

> An assumption: Broadband Internet access will be ubiquitous,
> cheap and reasonable reliable within 2-3 years from now.

I think this is an invalid assumption. There will always be a large
proportion of the population who will either not have access to broadband
either due to Geographical location or cost. Your occasional surfer will not
want to pay for broadband if they are only going online once or twice a
week. The telecoms companies are not going to offer broadband to low density
exchanges because of the cost factors.

Regards

Dave