From: internetradio-boun...@hard-core-dx.com
[mailto:internetradio-boun...@hard-core-dx.com] On Behalf Of Sandy Finlayson
Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2012 10:48 PM
To: Internet radio discussion
Cc: Internet radio discussion
Subject: Re: [Internetradio] Saving Auntie: Meet the BBC's new boss : CJR

I share your distress over how hard it is to find BBC World News.  Where I live
Verizon Fios carries it and some Comcast systems have carry it but neither Dish
Network or DirecTV have it.  I've long since given up asking DirecTV, they just
refuse to comment.

Sandy Finlayson

On Jul 10, 2012, at 8:02 PM, John Figliozzi <jfigl...@nycap.rr.com> wrote:

> Yeah, let's hope that Jubilee show was just a stumble and not an example of
what's to come.  I've been complaining for years (it may seem longer to others)
about the penchant for public broadcasters to recreate themselves as "commercial
broadcasting lite".  They have markedly different missions and values, if
they're doing the jobs correctly.

> A side issue:  Why is it so damn hard to get stateside cable operators to add
BBC World News Channel?  I can't get a suitable answer from Time Warner
officials... and I work in the industry! (as a regulator)  They carry BBC
America and I doubt it's a capacity issue.  They just added about half a dozen
"adult pay per view) services.  It's not a reach to say that the latter do make
them money.. but the BBC services are not a heavy lift financially speaking.

> John Figliozzi
>
> On Jul 10, 2012, at 4:42 PM, Sandy Finlayson wrote:
>
>> Interesting that the article picked up on the complaints over the
>> Diamond Jubilee.  The coverage I saw on BBC America was certainly a
>> mixed bag ranging from the professional and traditional to the
>> utterly frivolous and silly. The coverage of the Thames pageant will
>> go down in history as some of the worst live coverage the BBC has
>> ever done.  Everyone gets things wrong but it was really bad.
>>
>> SF

shown above.

shown above.

shown above.