--- Begin Message ---
John,
I am not Tom, but here is my perspective:

I, too, am not a huge fan of podcasts.  And to be honest I really can't explain
why either.  Something about the medium being different possibly.  And possibly
something about listening to a show/program at the same time that I know others
are listening to it that draws me to aired programs on a schedule.  I don't own
a smartphone or any MP3 player/iPod, although I do own a tablet (but prefer to
be on a desktop or laptop).  Nor do I have a DVR in my TV setup, although I
have several VCRs in case I want to capture a show that I know I will miss to
watch later that day (or occasionally the next day), and I will periodically
stream free on-demand movies or sometimes use Netflix (although I am not a
regular of either, and do so only after looking first at what is on TV).  And I
know I am not willing to pay iTunes or any similar outfit for a podcast or a
song.

The ability to listen at my time of choosing does not change this, as I am
still tied to a device to listen and removing the aspect of start time isn't
enough to totally sway me.  When I go out on my walks, I have no desire to
carry a device along and wear earbuds or headphones.  And I am one of those odd
ducks that looks forward hourly to NPR providing a news update at 1 minute
after the hour, and am bothered if a program (such as occasionally Performance
Today, etc.,) doesn't provide that news breakaway.

I may eventually be swayed, as I find myself downloading to my computer for
free more and more movies and TV shows to watch.  I do occasionally listen to a
radio podcast, but it is usually the recording of an aired program that I
missed rather than specifically a podcast written to be marketed as a podcast.
Podcasts of that type ramble too much for me - I guess I like the idea of
something being planned and edited to fit in a prescribed amount of time
(although I do find it irritating in both radio and TV news program on NPR and
PBS when the interviewer says out loud, "in the 30 seconds we have left, tell
me...").  And I've never been a fan of radio programs that are call-in shows or
providing advice or opinions (which all too much I have to endure as the
Wisconsin Public Radio "Ideas" network is filled these types of programs, and I
happen to live right on the Iowa/Illinois/Wisconsin border, plus my wife lives
and works three hours away in Wisconsin, and so I have weekend commutes back
and forth - it doesn't help that the Ideas stream is broadcast on the more
powerful transmitters in the state, whereas the Classical stream is on less
powerful transmitters that are often blocked by the hills I have to drive
through in the Driftless Area of western Wisconsin).  You would think that my
last example would be a perfect candidate for podcast listening instead - but
like with going for walks, there is something about not wanting to bring yet
another device along even when I am driving....

I know this sounds weird and inconsistent, but like I said, I can't fully
explain it.  For what it is worth, I will be turning 57 next month.

Kevin Anderson

Kevin Anderson, Dubuque IA USA, K9IUA
k9iua (at) yahoo (dot) com