Most radio listening takes place in the car or while doing other things that
allow freedom for the ear, but not the eyes and hands.  Podcasts permit a shift
of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.

I do it while “power walking” (most) every other day.  The “art” of putting one
foot in front of the other can be pretty monotonous and by “podding along”
while I’m plodding along my mind gets something to do along with my body.  Some
of the best radio comes from the public networks of the UK, Australia, Ireland,
Canada, New Zealand and the U.S.  Apart from the originating program’s web
site, most programs are made available through any number of other amalgamation
sources such as iTunes and TuneIn. Here’s another in a continuing series of
small samplings:

——

“Safe Space”
THE WHY FACTOR - BBC World Service
The ideal university experience is expected to train the minds of students by
exposing them to new ideas and challenging their assumptions. Why then, in the
English speaking west at least, are some students rebelling against this
principle by insisting there are some ideas which are so abhorrent they should
not be heard? To them a university should be a safe space. In this edition of
the Why Factor, Mike Williams tries to discover where the balance lies between
freedom of speech and protection from offence and asks what exactly is a safe
space?  (18”)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03wd1vd

“Talking Rubbish: Clever Ways with Waste”
THE FORUM - BBC World Service
According to the United Nations, we probably throw away over one billion tonne
of waste every year. Some goes into landfill, some is destroyed and some is
recycled. The mountain of cast-off litter is not just a huge environmental
challenge, but a logistical one as well. Bridget Kendall explores ideas about
how to harness waste with - Martin Medina, a global waste consultant, who
suggests scavenging might be the answer to developing country’s growing waste
problems; Dr Tom Licence, an historian at the University of East Anglia and
‘garbologist’, who uses archaeological beachcombing for historical rubbish to
unveil our detailed past; Polly Morgan an artist who uses taxidermy to ascribe
new meaning to what was once discarded and dead. (41”)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03xdl0w

——

Good listening!

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide"
New 7th edition now available from Universal Radio, Amazon and W5YI.com