Most radio listening takes place in the car or while doing other things that
allow freedom for the ear, but not the eyes and hands.  Podcasts permit a shift
of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.

I do it while “power walking” (most) every other day.  The “art” of putting one
foot in front of the other can be pretty monotonous and by “podding along”
while I’m plodding along my mind gets something to do along with my body.  Some
of the best radio comes from the public networks of the UK, Australia, Ireland,
Canada, New Zealand and the U.S.  Apart from the originating program’s web
site, most programs are made available through any number of other amalgamation
sources such as iTunes and TuneIn. Here’s another in a continuing series of
small samplings:

——

“Democracy and Its Discontents”
FROM OUR OWN CORRESPONDENT - BBC Radio 4
Kate Adie introduces dispatches from writers and correspondents around the
world. This week: Karen Allen in Johannesburg considers South Africa's
municipal elections and what they are likely to mean for both the political
parties and the voters; Damien McGuinness reports from Berlin on Germans'
reactions to the recent violent attacks in their country, some of which were
carried out by asylum seekers, and Chancellor Angela Merkel's policy on
refugees; Paul Martin meets the woman judoka aiming to make Kosovo's debut on
the Olympic stage a golden one; Soutik Biswas talks to a Dalit - once known as
an untouchable - from Gujarat about his efforts to make his business prosper in
the face of hostility from upper caste Indians; and Lucy Daltroff tours the
islands of Samoa in Polynesia to discover how a Pacific paradise copes with the
demands of modern life. (29”)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07m4d8v

“Bruce Shapiro; What's wrong with American politics? Logic of organized crime.”
LATE NIGHT LIVE - ABC Radio National
The chaos that the American political establishment finds itself in today has
been a long time in the making. Waves of financial and political reform have
also resulted in demonized and disempowered political professional and
political parties, making it easy for disruption and manipulation of all kind.
Jonathan Rauch contributing editor at The Atlantic Magazine recounts the
unravelling of an imperfect, but superior democracy. Some analysts now argue we
are entering a new age of mafia states – which are corroding the very basis of
state power.  (54”)
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/latenightlive/02/7683794

——

Good listening!

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide"
New 7th edition now available from Universal Radio, Amazon and W5YI.com