Location: Potchefstroom (South Africa)
Date: 17.–18.8.2017
Deadline: 28.7.2017

Aims of the event

The mission statement for the research group, Transforming
Encounters, is to explore the philosophical critiques raised by how
one becomes an authentic or 'true' self. It does so through a South
African perspective of the global world in which this country's
people participate. In this vein, we seek to provide a network for
researchers within South Africa, and Southern Africa in general, to
contribute to these ongoing discussions. The goal of this research
group is not mere critique of (post)modernity or of Western thought
writ large. Rather, its aim is to explore how the flattening and
expanding (but also fragmenting) global context transforms the
life-world of South Africans and how their voices and concerns might
transform the ongoing discussions about this world (or worlds).

The event, entitled "Transforming Encounters and Critical Reflection:
African Thought, Critical Theory, and Liberation Theology in
Dialogue" will be a two day conference that aims to provide a
platform for scholars to network, share, and collaborate on their
existing research projects. An event focusing upon transforming
encounters not only fits the research group's goals but is also
intended to develop and support emerging students from under
represented areas.

A key theme that has arisen from the research group's activities is
that the ongoing transformation of South African society involves an
intersection of (1) decolonial and postmodern critique, (2) the
impact of the global, capitalist economy on South Africans, and (3)
the appropriation of ideas and concepts within Western modernity and
its subsequent metaphysical tradition in order to open a space for
heretofore silenced voices to speak. Our motivation is to further
this discovery by bringing to our campus international experts on
these issues, along with several other South African scholars, who
will deepen our understanding of this intersectionality while also
providing valuable and necessary insights to our students and
researchers.

Confirmed keynote speakers

- Prof. Colby Dickinson from the Loyola University of Chicago (USA) -
a leading international scholar on the intersection between critical
theory and liberation theology.

- Prof. Abraham Olivier from the University of Fort Hare. He is a
NRF-rated scholar, expert in the intersection of African and Western
thought.

- Dr. Uchenna Okeja is a senior lecturer at Rhodes University in
Grahamstown. He did his PhD in Frankfurt and is an expert in the
tradition of critical thinking and African Philosophy.

- Prof. Pieter Duvenage from the University of the Free State. He is a
NRF-rated researcher, expert in critical theory, social-political
philosophy and history of SA philosophy.

Invitation to participate

We invite papers on the following topics: African Thought, Critical
Theory, and Liberation Theology. Please submit an abstract of 200-300
word before 28 July 2017 to Prof. Anné Verhoef at:
anne.verh...@nwu.ac.za

There are limited slots to participate in the conference and
acceptance of the selected papers will be given by 31 July.

Please contact Danelle Fourie for questions about lodging and other
practical matters:
danelle.fou...@nwu.ac.za

There is a conference fee of R100.

Organized by the research group, Transforming Encounters:
Exploring/Understanding the Postmodern Self in a South African and
Global Context, at the School for Philosophy of North West
University.

Organizers:
Prof. Anné Verhoef, Dr. Justin Sands, Drs. Danelle Fourie

Contact:

Prof Anné Verhoef
Internal Box 208
Potchefstroom Campus