Location: Johannesburg (South Africa)
Date: 6.–8.8.2018
Deadline: 30.6.2018

Achievements of anti-colonial, anti-racist, feminist, queer,
disability and other struggles may be facing a reversal as once again
dominations, marginalisations and exploitations of those constructed
as racial, ethnic, religious, national, sexed/gendered 'others' seem
to be gaining currency. The planetary ecological crisis, global
financial crises, expanding social inequalities, political and
religiously motivated violence contribute to a climate of
systematised and institutionalised domination and oppression. In such
a world, it may seem that the odds are so stacked against the
disempowered that they are structurally condemned to despair.

Dominant paradigms and concepts for imagining liberation and
fashioning hope, such as nationalism, globalism and liberalism seem
inadequate to dismantle intersecting and multiplying forms of
domination. Instead, these traditional paradigms increasingly appear
to conceal rather than reveal the nature and impact of dominations.

When the systems of domination are so durable and inventive, how can
we enhance and redouble our efforts to bring about social justice?
How should we reinvigorate our thinking on how contemporary societies
may move beyond structures and systems of domination? How do we
create horizons of hope envisioning a world in which our diversity is
protected and valued? How do we advance efforts at the
re-humanisation of the oppressed, and indeed, of the oppressor? How
can we sharpen our critiques? How should critical scholarship and
activism engage despair? How should hope inform critical scholarship?
What kind of hope should this be?

The 5th Annual International Conference hosted by WiCDS will engage
questions such as these. We invite proposals for 15-minute
presentations followed by open discussions with conference delegates.
Proposals may look at the interrelationships of liberation, hope and
despair in the contexts of:

- Achievements and failures of past struggles
- Normative social formations
- Emerging centres and margins
- Social and political institutions
- Identities and subjectivities
- Social movements and civil society
- Migration and nation
- Ethnic and cultural formations
- Culture, arts and representation
- Memory and memorialisation
- Knowledge production and epistemologies
- Affective economies
- Bodies and embodiment
- Faith, spirituality and religion
- Law and legislation
- Institutions and organisations
- Economic practices and occupations
- Violences
- Past, present and future imaginaries

Abstracts should be between 250 and 300 words, and should be sent to
info.wi...@wits.ac.za, accompanied by a single paragraph bio.

Submission deadline: 30 June 2018

Contact:

Melissa Moodley