Location: Munich (Germany)
Date: 26.–27.7.2019
Deadline: 30.4.2019

Cosmopolitanism seeks to expand the moral community of concern to
include all human beings scattered around the globe — and not merely
to those in closer interactive circles (e.g. family, friends,
colleagues, compatriots, etc.) who traditionally benefit from our
care. This expansion has clear implications for institutional agents
but also for individual agents who endorse cosmopolitanism, e.g. in
terms of the ‘locations’ where we might seek to do good for others.
For instance, a commitment to cosmopolitanism may create tensions,
inter alia, because of an individuals’ limited ability and resources
to combat global injustices or because of a perceived conflict
between cosmopolitan duties and special obligations.

The graduate conference “Cosmopolitanism and Global Justice in
Practical Contexts” hosted by the Munich Center for Ethics (MKE) at
LMU Munich seeks to explore the range and depth of implications that
an endorsement of cosmopolitanism has for specific issues of global
justice and to explore what cosmopolitanism can offer in the face of
such challenges in the highly interconnected and globalised world we
find ourselves in. To this end, we suggest to focus on four major
thematic issues of global justice:

(1) Global (Citizenship) Education;
(2) Climate Justice;
(3) The Ethics of Immigration; and
(4) The Ethics of Technology.

In particular, we call for papers which exemplify applied philosophy
within the practical context of these focal fields. As such, papers
which highlight, explore, and attempt to address issues of practical
concern for the modern cosmopolitan working on these issues are
highly encouraged. More specifically still, two cross-cutting issues
are of immediate concern to us:

- The tension between the cosmopolitan ideal and emerging
  neo-nationalistic sentiments as they apply in the above practical
  contexts;
- The relationship between cosmopolitan duties of justice and the
  development of cosmopolitan ethos as adequate or necessary responses
  to the practical contexts — or as motivating such action.

We invite and encourage all papers by PhD researchers working in
philosophy, political theory or related fields. However, those which
have a practical, applied, and normative focus will be prioritised,
and those exploring the two specific concerns above will be
prioritised further still. We particularly encourage applications
from researchers of underrepresented groups.

The workshop aims to be pre-read and closed to presenters only.
Presenters will give talks of 20 minutes (max.) to introduce their
papers.

Please send long abstracts of 500-1000 words (max.) to
mke.works...@outlook.de by 30 April 2019 together with your
respective affiliations. Accepted papers will be notified by 15 May
2019. Confirmed presenters will be required to share their completed
papers to be distributed to the other presenters by 5 July 2019.

Depending on interest, we envision a publication resulting from the
workshop. As such, please leave a brief comment upon submitting your
abstract as to whether you would be interested in participating.

Travel and accommodation expenses for presenters coming from Europe
can be reimbursed, if not covered by your affiliated institution.

Keynotes: Laura Valentini (LSE) - via video conference
Anca Gheaus (Pompeu Fabra University/LMU)

Conference organisers:
Jason Branford, Federica Merenda, Alexander Schulan, Christos Simis
Email: mke.works...@outlook.de