Location: Warsaw (Poland)
Date: 8.–11.6.2019

American and Polish traditions of philosophy of culture share a
unique commitment: For both, philosophy of culture is a field,
method, theory, and way of life that coincide in a synoptic
reflection and reconstruction of culture. As such, it is not only
connected to a particular type of meta-orientation on horizons of
meaning, and their respective methodologies, but also to a special
sensitivity to these horizons as the realm of personal/humane
concerns, purposes, and values. Over the last decade leading American
and Polish philosophers of culture, with the University of Warsaw as
hub, have initiated a dialogue, building on this common commitment to
lived philosophy of culture, opening up their students and
communities to the rich horizons of meaning available in cultural
life.

To celebrate this unique philosophical dialogue between American and
Polish traditions, we are launching an International Philosophy of
Culture Week at the University of Warsaw. From June 8-11 we are
hosting a collection of events that seek to foster dialogue between
two vibrant and culturally rooted traditions of philosophy, as a
groundwork for equitable intercultural philosophy collaboration and
work.

Chapter 1 – Conference:
Transformations of Culture: Images, Signs, and Symbols

The transformation of culture from the language of books to the
exchange of signs and symbols has occurred in the space of one
generation. From Barthes’ first comprehensive work in semiology to
the condensation of meaning into a black mirror, has been the work of
only sixty years. Now we stand at the early edge of a world no longer
governed by the standards and language of books. What happens, to
literature, to law, to government, to art and entertainment, to
science and history, when images set the standards of action, of
perception, of consciousness? Our conference confronts these and
other questions.

Date: June 8th – June 9th, 2019

Chapter 2 – Symposium:
Philosophy of Culture: Field, Method, Theory, or Way of Life?

In a series of three sessions, a symposium of scholarly participants
will explore philosophy of culture as field, method, theory, and way
of life. The symposium aims to initiate an important philosophical
dialogue on the meaning and purpose of philosophy of culture.

Date: June 10th 2019

Chapter 3 – Colloquium:
Philosophy as a Way of Life: The Work of Juliusz Domański

Juliusz Domański is the leading Polish voice on philosophy as a way
of life. His work has earned him a place as one of the nation’s most
recognized and beloved scholars. His book La Philosophie: théorie ou
manière de vivre? Les controverses de l ’Antiquité à la Renaissance
is immensely valuable as the only book-length study dedicated to a
detailed consideration of the fate of PWL after the end of pagan
antiquity and on recurrences in the Renaissance and Middle Ages. A
longtime friend of Pierre Hadot (who wrote the preface to the
aforementioned book), Domański is a genuine polymath, whose career
has traversed the history of philosophy, classical philology,
philosophy of culture, literary theory, and hermeneutics. In this
event we celebrate his work and offer him the opportunity to present,
as well as offer an introduction and special lecture.

Date: June 11th 2019

For further information please visit:
https://ipcweek.wordpress.com

Contact us at: