Call for Publications

Theme: What do we care about?
Subtitle: A Cross-Cultural Textbook for Undergraduate Students of
Philosophical Ethics
Publication: Edited Textbook published by OpenBook Publishers
Deadline: 15.2.2020

Editors

Björn Freter, PhD
(Independent Scholar, Knoxville, Tennessee, U.S.A.)

and Elvis Imafidon, PhD
(Department of Philosophy, Ambrose Alli University, Nigeria Fellow,
Johannesburg Institute for Advanced Study, Johannesburg, South Africa)

Published with OpenBook Publishers
(see: https://www.openbookpublishers.com/section/114/1)

1. About the Book

Texts in ethics designed primarily for students should have four main
focal points: exposing students to normative moral theories, the
history of ethics and ethicists, the nature and major contents of
applied ethics, and exposing students to the analysis of moral terms
and questions of moral validation in meta-ethics. However, what is
currently available in this regard are texts that provide a one-sided
and narrow narrative of these focal points: the Western narrative. As
it is becoming more obvious in academic philosophy such hegemony of
knowledge in any area of philosophy is not only a fraud and
disservice to humanity – deliberately or non-deliberately – but also
results in the poverty of knowledge. This book is a bold attempt to
remedy this and provide a comprehensive and broad perspective of
ethics to undergraduate students. The book will indeed provide
information on the four focal points mentioned above, but it will also

- incorporate in a non-eurocentric, non-biased way of presenting
  traditions from Asia, Africa, North-America, South-America,
  Australia and Europe.

And it will

- have a recurring section at the end of every chapter that will
  attempt to embed the respective ethical traditions into lived
  experience by asking (as reflected in the title): »What, exponent of
  tradition X, do you care about? What is an ethical issue dear to
  you? And what do you do to address it? What do you do to promote
  that which you care about?«

An extensive general introduction and specific short introductions to
each section will be provided by the editors explaining the approach
of the book in detail. The introduction will also address why a
project like this is necessary and address the inglorious history of
philosophy as a means of oppression.

About the Pedagogical Direction

We want to ensure that all forms of superiorism (like sexism, white
supremacy, eurocentrism) will be strictly avoided. The book shall
illuminate differences and at the same time explicitly stress that
material differences are normatively irrelevant: a mere difference
between two things does not imply that one of these two things is
better or worse than the other. The book will further refrain from
the use of frivolous (but very common) eurocentric approaches which,
for instance, claim the birth of philosophy itself happened in
ancient Greece and only there.

The editors want to ensure that both the contributors and in the
references for further reading include philosophers from
underrepresented groups (we will adhere to the suggestions of the
Diversity Reading List, see:
https://diversityreadinglist.org/teach/). The text will be optimized
for instruction by including bolding of key terms, chapter summaries,
suggested further readings, and discussion questions.

About the Style of the Contributions

The chapters shall be written in an accessible, jargon-free style
with chapters lengths of about 3000 to 5000 words. The editors will
ensure that the book will be written in an inclusive manner, for
instance we wish to utilize gender-neutral language, usage of
cultural references with appropriate explanations (and avoid to take
western culture as leading culture), avoid stereotyping (for instance
in explanatory example situations multiple perspectives will be
incorporated), etc.

About the Publisher

Open Book Publishers is an independent, non-profit and scholar-led
Press for the free dissemination of high-quality research. With over
2 million readers the world over Open Book Publishers is the main
Open Access book publisher in the United Kingdom and one of the
leading Open Access Presses internationally. For more details, please
see: https://www.openbookpublishers.com/section/6/1.

About the submission, peer-reviewing and publishing process

a. Topics

We invite all scholars and researchers regardless of their academic
background to provide us with their ideas. However, we are especially
interested in contributions by underrepresented groups (see:
https://diversityreadinglist.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/DRL_Poster_ad.pdf)
and on underrepresented themes and topics (for details see:
https://www.apaonline.org/members/group.aspx?id=110430).

As stated in our outline above, we want to ensure to describe at
least two ethical approaches from Asia, Africa, North-America,
South-America, Australia and Europe. We are open to all ideas
presenting the ethics of a certain place! You submit a detailed
analysis of for instance the ethics of the Kyoto School or a more
general approach on Japanese Ethics, or you may submit a discussion
of the ethical foundations of the Yoruba people or an account of
African Ethics in general (or, of course, discuss, if these
generalizations are possible at all). Please keep in mind that this
project aims at an undergraduate readership.

b. Submission

In case you wish to submit a proposal, please

- send an email to both editors
  Björn Freter: fret...@freenet.de or bfret...@googlemail.com
  Elvis Imafidon: elvism...@yahoo.com
- include your contact details in the email
- a separate anonymous attachment (doc, docx, pdf or similar) with
  your proposal

Please make sure that your proposal takes the pedagogical outline
described above (including the question »What do you care about?«)
into account. Your proposal should be about one or two pages in
length (excluding references, in case you wish to add those).

Ιf the proposed chapter is based on material published before and
under copyright a permission from the original publisher will be
required.

The deadline for submissions of proposals is the 15.2.2020.

c. Review

We will inform you as soon as possible about the acceptance/rejection
of your submissions. At the latest we will get back to you two to
three weeks after the deadline.

Once your proposal has been accepted for consideration, we ask you to
write and submit the full manuscript.

d. Preparation of the Manuscript and Publication

We would ask our contributors to submit their final manuscript within
twelve months.

Once received, the editors and OpenBooks Publishers will be in charge
of peer-review. They will send the final manuscript to two peer-
reviewers for their comments and will ask referees to submit their
report within three months wherever possible. On the basis of the
referees’ reports the publisher and the editors will decide whether
to approve the manuscript for publication. As a condition of
acceptance, we’ll ask authors to consider referees’ recommendations,
if any, to improve the manuscript. Depending on how substantial these
revisions are, we may ask referees to read the final manuscript for
any additional comments or questions they may have. A further
condition of acceptance is that the manuscript has been proofread and
styled according to our Style guide & manuscript presentation, and
that if necessary, the manuscript has been copy-edited to ensure a
high level of English.

The Style Guide for the manuscripts can be found here:
https://www.openbookpublishers.com/section/86/1

Contact:

Björn Freter and Elvis Imafidon
Email: fret...@freenet.de and elvism...@yahoo.com