Job Announcement

Type: University Lecturer in African and Comparative Philosophy
Institution: Institute of Philosophy, University of Leiden
Location: Leiden (Netherlands)
Date: from August 2020
Deadline: 15.2.2020

The Institute of Philosophy of The Faculty of Humanities, is looking
for an University Lecturer in African and Comparative Philosophy.

Key responsibilities

The Institute of Philosophy is seeking to strengthen its research and
teaching initiatives, which include English-taught BA and MA tracks
in global and intercultural philosophy. We offer a full-time (38
hours per week), fixed-term post for the period of two years from 1
August 2020, or as soon as possible thereafter, with the possibility
of a permanent contract conditional on performance and funding. The
successful candidate will take on the following responsibilities
commensurate with career stage:

- Scholarly research in African philosophy, comparative philosophy,
  and other areas of philosophy, and dissemination of findings through
  appropriate channels;
- Teaching African philosophy, comparative philosophy, and other
  areas of philosophy in English in our BA and MA programmes in
  Philosophy and in other Leiden University degree programmes as
  required, including supervision of BA and MA theses;
- Teaching in Dutch in due course;
- Supervision of PhD research;
- Acquisition of research funding;
- Representation of the field to external audiences and media;
- Active participation in running the institution.

Selection criteria

- PhD degree in philosophy;
- Publication record in African philosophy and comparative philosophy
  commensurate with career stage;
- Original research plans in the above areas;
- Teaching experience in the above areas and commitment to
  high-quality teaching practice;
- Teaching competence in philosophy of race and gender, colonial and
  postcolonial studies, and broader areas of philosophy is an added
  advantage;
- Excellent command of English;
- For non-Dutch-speaking candidates, commitment to learn Dutch to
  level B1 within two years. The institute facilitates Dutch-language
  learning with reimbursement of costs and teaching relief for an
  approved training programme;
- Team player, but also able to carry out independent research and
  teaching;
- Flexible, enterprising, and enthusiastic.

Our organisation

The Faculty of Humanities is rich in expertise in fields including
philosophy, religious studies, history, art history, literature,
linguistics, and area studies covering nearly every region of the
world. With a staff of around 1,000, the faculty provides 25 BA and
27 MA programmes for over 7,000 students.

The Institute of Philosophy conducts research and teaching in
philosophy. As well as a standard curriculum in the Western
tradition, we offer a BA track and (from 2020) MA tracks in
comparative and intercultural philosophy taught in English. With
around 35 employees and 500 students, the institute offers an
innovative, collegial, and international working environment.

Terms and conditions

We offer a full-time fixed-term post for the period of two years from
1 August 2020, or as soon as possible thereafter, with the
possibility of a permanent contract conditional on performance and
funding. Salary range, depending on training and experience, from
€2.709,- to €4.978,- (pay scale 10 to 11 in accordance with the
Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities) based on a
full-time appointment.

Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with
additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3%), training and
career development, and sabbatical leave. Our individual choices
model offers some freedom to assemble a personalised set of terms and
conditions. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible
for a substantial tax break. There is a Dual Career Programme for
international spouses.

UTQ

Leiden University requires teaching staff to obtain the UTQ. If the
successful applicant does not already possess it or its equivalent,
he/she must be willing to obtain this qualification within two years.

Diversity

Diversity is one of our university’s core values in research and
teaching. We especially welcome applications from members of
underrepresented groups. Women and members of ethnic minorities are
strongly encouraged to apply.

Information

Enquiries may be directed to James McAllister, academic director of
the Institute of Philosophy, e-mail
j.w.mcallis...@phil.leidenuniv.nl, tel. +31 71 527 2004.

Applications

Please submit online your application no later than 15 February 2020
via the blue button in our application system. Please ensure that you
upload the following additional documents

- Motivation letter;
- CV including education and employment history, courses taught,
  publications;
- Research plan with clear potential for grant applications to
  funding bodies such as NWO and ERC (max. 2 pages);
- Statement of candidate’s teaching philosophy (max. 2 pages);
- Representative course descriptions and, if available, teaching
  evaluations;
- Names and contact details of at least two academic referees (no
  reference letters at this stage).

For more information please see:
https://www.universiteitleiden.nl/en/vacancies/2019/q4/19-575-6536-university-lecturer-in-african-and-comparative-philosophy