Location: London (United Kingdom)
Date: 29.–31.5.2020
Deadline: 22.2.2020

“I knew that I had experienced the dream, but I do not know who wrote
it. I wanted desparately to be introduced to the writer who could
write those lines”, declared James Grotstein (1981). The statement
points towards a questioning of personal identity, opening up to
experiences at once alien and familiar. Relating to the essay The
Uncanny and the self-reference it contains, Mark Fisher (2016) noted,
“Freud’s unheimlich is about the strange within the familiar, the
strangely familiar, the familiar as strange – about the way in which
the domestic world does not coincide with itself. […] Psychoanalysis
itself is an unheimlich genre; it is haunted by an outside which it
circles around but can never fully acknowledge or affirm”.

In The Ego and the Id, we encounter the traces of this outside as an
inside in the description of introjection as a setting up of the
object inside the I, perhaps “the sole condition under which” the it
can give up its objects. This account leads to a characterisation of
the I as “a precipate of abandoned object-cathexes” which furthermore
contains those object-choices’ history. The same text offers another
definition in stating that the I is first and foremost a bodily I,
and adding in a footnote that it “is ultimately derived from bodily
sensations, chiefly from those springing from the surface of the
body” (26). Thus, aside from the body as an object, an objective
entity, there is the idea of the body as that through which the rest
is experienced, as a sensing subject. The inner object or objects
represent another duality, as core parts of the I, yet originally
other.

We might think of Erik Erikson’s (1950) framing of identity
development in terms of a series of stages with the potential for
crises, distinguishing personal and social or cultural identity.
Drawing on D. W. Winnicott (1951), Farhad Dalal (2002) emphasises how
groups come together on the basis of illusory experiences,
transitional phenomena. “In other words, group identity is always an
abstraction, a reification, its basis being the shared ‘similarity of
illusory experiences’. And it is precisely because of its illusory
nature that it needs to be defended so vigorously.”

“As children we realized that we were different from boys and that we
were treated different—for example, when we were told in the same
breath to be quiet both for the sake of being ‘ladylike’ and to make
us less objectionable in the eyes of white people. In the process of
consciousness-raising, actually life-sharing, we began to recognize
the commonality of our experiences and, from the sharing and growing
consciousness, to build a politics that will change our lives and
inevitably end our oppression”, wrote anti-racist feminist Zillah R.
Eisenstein (1978). Identity politics are closely connected to the
ascription that some social groups are oppressed (such as women,
ethnic minorities, and sexual minorities), the claim that people who
belong to those groups are, by virtue of their social identities,
more vulnerable to forms of oppression such as cultural imperialism,
violence, exploitation of labour, marginalization, or powerlessness.
Identity politics can be right-wing as well as left-wing, with white
supremacist and fascist movements exemplifying the former. Different
forms of identity politics and debates about them are prominent in
today’s political landscape, as do questions of how to define it, and
of forms of identity politics that are unrecognized and
unacknowledged. “When “identity politics” is practiced in such a way
that it allows a small group to access and maintain power, it gets
labeled as “norms” and treated as simply the way the world works,”
wrote Helaine Olen (2019). Identity politics might for instance be
based on religion, social class, culture, language, disability,
education, race or ethnicity, language, sex, gender identity, or
sexual orientation. Ethical and political questions include – Who is
allowed to challenge someone’s professed identity? – Who gets to play
with a social identity?

The word “tribe” can be defined as an extended kin group or clan with
a common ancestor, or it can be described as a group with shared
interests, lifestyles and habits. While tribal societies have been
pushed to the edges of the Western world, tribalism, in the second
sense, – in the sense of the tendency to identify, associate wih and
support people who are seen to resemble oneself – is arguably
undiminished. One sense of the word ‘humanism’ describes an opposite
tendency to that of ‘tribalism’, signifying a recognition and
benevolence towards all human beings without distinction.

The line from a drama by Terence, African and a former slave, and
quoted by among others Cicero, Seneca and Saint Augustine, declared
the message of universalism, “Homo sum: humani nihil a me alienum
puto.“, “I am a human being: and I deem nothing pertaining to
humanity is foreign to me.” After the Second World War, The United
Nations Charter (1945) committed all member states to promote
“universal respect for, and observance of, human rights and
fundamental freedoms for all without distinction as to race, sex,
language, or religion”. As these ideas of universality are once again
being challenged in today’s world, we might ask about the basis for
feelings of commonality between human beings, and about the grounds
for identification.

This is an interdisciplinary conference – we invite theoretical
contributions and historical, literary or clinical case studies on
these and related themes from philosophers, sociologists,
psychoanalysts, psychotherapists, group analysts, literary theorists,
historians, anthropologists, and others. Perspectives from different
psychoanalytic schools will be most welcome. We promote discussion
among the presenters and participants, for the symposium series
creates a space where representatives of different perspectives come
together, engage with one another’s contributions and participate in
a community of thought. Therefore, attendance to the whole symposium
is obligatory. Due to the nature of the forum audio recording is not
permitted.

Presentations are expected to take half an hour. Another 20 minutes
is set aside for discussion. There is a 10 min break in between each
paper. Please send an abstract of 200 to 300 words, attached in a
word-document, to psychoanalysis.politics[at]gmail.com by February
22nd 2020. We will respond by, and present a preliminary programme on
March 1st 2020. If you would like to sign up to participate without
presenting a paper, please contact us after this date.

This is a relatively small symposium where active participation is
encouraged and an enjoyable social atmosphere is sought. A
participation fee, which includes one shared dinner with wine, of £
299 before March 20th 2020 – £ 383 between March 20th 2020 and May
1st 2020 – £ 449 after May 1st, is to be paid before the symposium.

Your place is only confirmed once we have received your registration
including payment is completed. Additional information will be given
after your abstract has been accepted or after the programme has been
finalized.

Unfortunately, we are unable to offer travel grants or other forms of
financial assistance for this event, though we will be able to assist
you in finding affordable accommodation after March 1st 2020.

Conference website:
https://www.psa-pol.org/which-identity/