Location: Giessen (Germany)
Date: 23.–25.6.2021

The international, interdisciplinary laboratory conference “Cultural
Identities in a Global World: Reframing Cultural Hybridity” will take
place online on June 23-24-25, 2021 at the International Graduate
Centre for the Study of Culture in Giessen, Germany.

The 21st Century is a time of cultural and social acceleration (Rosa,
2013), which continuously shapes physical limits by updating
socio-cultural dynamics in the hybrid form of overlapping, blending
and mixing of cultural identities. The novel COVID-19 pandemic
highlights this global dimension by provoking an even faster
digitalization of all spheres of life and forming new cultural
hierarchies through disparities in technological development and
economic resources. Is this crisis one of the examples that show how
cultural hybridity can be reconceptualised in theoretical discourses
and social practice? In this laboratory-conference, we look for a
more concrete, differentiated and nuanced understanding of cultural
hybridity, stressing the need for a critique of the concept and its
harmonious connotations. We aim to explore new ways to overcome the
essentialization and commodification of cultural hybridity that has
been taking place in the last decades in the global world. In this
way, we encourage new meanings, action-oriented concepts in a broader
discussion about localization, translation and digitalization of
cultural identities in our interconnected global world. From the
local to the global, cultural hybridity nowadays travels across the
individual, political, religious, biological, cultural and virtual
spaces in the historical contexts of nation-state, transnationalism
and globalisation. Hence, hybridity can entangle new meanings and
action-oriented concepts. This conference aims to reframe the
discourse on hybridity by exploring this cultural artefact in theory
and social practice and as a still useful analytical tool in the
study of culture.

Conference Overview

Wednesday, 23.6.2021

13.00 - 13.15
Welcome and Introduction by Laura Popa and Clara Verri

Panel: Negotiation of Gender in the Digital Era

Panel: Digitalisation of Culture

16.00 - 17.30
Workshop: To What Extent Can Post-Digitality Be Understood as
“Life-World Hybridity”?

18.00 - 20.00
Keynote Lecture: Hybridity and Economy
Prof. Dr. Andreas Langenohl (International Graduate Centre for the
Study of Culture, Justus Liebig University Giessen, Germany)

Thursday, 24.6.2021

10.30 - 12.00
Panel: 'Otherness' in the Interconnected Global World
Panel: The Self in 21st-Century Individual and Collective Identities

14.00 - 16.00
Panel: Nation-State Preservation and Reformulations
Panel: Cultural Transformations between the Local and the Global

16.15 - 18.15
Workshop: Creating New Cultural Space: Hybridity and Authenticity
Identity

Friday, 25.6.2021

9.30 - 11.00
Panel: Home and Far-Away: Identity in Migration
Panel: Heritage-Making in Multiple Temporalities

11.15 - 12.45
Laboratory - Debate: Working with Concepts of Hybridity/Identity –
Summary Reflections and Critical Impulses (Part I)

14.00 - 15.30
Laboratory - Debate: Working with Concepts of Hybridity/Identity –
Summary Reflections and Critical Impulses (Part II)

The deadline for registration is June 16, 2021.

Conference website:
https://www.uni-giessen.de/faculties/gcsc/gcsc/events/conferences-symposia-summer-schools/conference-sites/cultural-identities-global-world