- iui.hasClass(elmt, className)
- iui.addClass(elmt, className)
- iui.removeClass(elmt, className)

Element has to be an HTMLDomElement, not its ID, so for <div id="home"
title="Home" class="panel">, you have to do a
iui.hasClass(document.getElementById('home'), 'panel'), and not
iui.hasClass('home', 'panel').

If you need to select a list of elements by class name, native JS function
document.getElementsByClassName().

If you need more than that, you may consider zepto.js rather than jquery.
Or code your own few functions.

Remi