Ok, so if I understand correctly, this amounts to writing an entire application
using JavaScript/ECMAScript for execution inside browsers, rather than using
native code such as Objective C/Cocoa.

The JavaScript is platform neutral which is an advantage, but the performance
hit could be considerable.

Probably similar amount of work to writing in native code.

Not really suitable for my case as I need to wrap an iOS skin around a huge,
serverside framework.

I am going to reconsider my rejection of the idea of creating a huge HTML doc
with all content in it.  It won't be any bigger than a PDF copy of the entire
lot anyway!

That would satisfy the requirement for offline access.

Thank you very much, that's been really helpful.

R.