Hi list,

I've been quite busy on this lately, and it seems like (about) time to release
something.

As some of you know, i'm part of iUI since late 2009, doing different things
like themes, plugins, bugfixes, documentation and even the design & development
of its website, … and i use to enjoy this a lot. But every time, for each
single step, i did face some resistance to bring some new ideas & improvements
to iUI's main core files. Don't get me wrong, I have no anger about that
neither personal recognition issue of any kind, this is a very common problem
with open source projects: waiting for too much feedback before doing anything,
and if no feedback at all then nothing gets done.
(iUI 0.5 first draft is a 3 years old left-in-the-cold Google Clone).

As a result, iUI is not even now what i (and others) would like it to be for
more than 2 years later. I've tried to push things forward multiple times, but
the amount of time & energy spent to literally force 0.4 release was too much
for me to handle. I did join the project to learn things & push this library
forward, and create/develop an ecosystem around it.
As a matter of fact, i've failed. Badly.

But there is no point to discuss on what's iUI is not. Let's focus on what,
imho, it should be.

So i start a fork from the latest iUI 0.4 with nowdays modern browsers in mind,
phones & tablets.
Quickly after a few days coding, i realized there were no point to stay
compatible with iUI: this library has been hacked back in 2007 with iPhone only
in mind (iPhone was to only real smartphone btw), and is very horizontal
sliding webkit-only limited from the inside. The quick & lightweight vanilla
code concept remains, but that's pretty much it.
HTML syntax is different, core files has been highly changed, plugins,
extensions & themes are not compatible … a real split was engaged.

Since not compatible and after some discussions, the iUI "brand" name was
something i have to get rid of too, to avoid confusion between the two projects.

So, ladies & gentleman, let me officially introduce you to Emy (Efficient
Mobile web librarY)

Github repo
https://github.com/remi-grumeau/emy

Demo
http://www.remi-grumeau.com/projects/emy/demos/

Documentation
http://www.remi-grumeau.com/projects/emy/documentation/

For iUI users / developers like you, i've wrote a Switching guide
http://www.remi-grumeau.com/projects/emy/documentation/switch-to-emy-from-iui.html

(Note that all those links might change since they are really too linked to me)

As a summary, i might list those few things
- HTML5 syntax
- Supports custom transitions
- Built-in onshow & onexit view attributes to easily trigger some code when
sliding in or out a view.
- Most iUI themes & extensions has been ported (with an additional WindowsPhone
theme)
- Tested ok on iOS 4 and above, Android 2.3 and above (stock browser, chrome &
firefox), WindowsPhone 8, Blackberry 6 and above, Firefox OS beta.
- Resising to cover the full viewport
- Built-in basic selector
- Form toogle element has an hidden checkbox linked to it
- Complete documentation
- a supa-cool logo :)
- MIT licensed (this might change to WTFPL - www.wtfpl.net)

And this is just the beginning :)

I have no clear next steps roadmap in mind for now, all i know is that i want
something new to release at least every 4 months. Even if not perfect: done is
better than perfect.
Could be more new plugins: iScroll, database-driven load & refresh modules, new
themes, … some better large screen / responsive adaptability (look at the
Instagram demo app), video trainings, ...
I'm also thinking a lot about some online services like a free theme generator,
a free & commercial website/app editor & hosting service, free & commercial
theme/plugin library you can show what you've done & earn a few bucks from it…
WordPress model is not that bad for this.
A website is on its way too. (the design is done, all is needed is the
front-end coding)
(your ideas here)

If you have some front-end skills & time to dedicate to this, there is a LOT to
do, code, create.
(but note that i might be an ass with time a core team have to dedicate :) )

I can't way to get some feedback from you folks !!

Cheers,
Remi