Those who are interested:

I have at last put in place a workaround :) which shows the user a splash
screen after logging in and cunningly gets them to click a button to enter
the site which just reloads the current page and "fixes" the problem with
the buttons going missing. I am still not sure what causes the original
issue but it is something in the login script and I think its where it is
posting to another php page and then setting the header back to index.php
once logged in. As the issue happens only on login / out this seems to work
quite nicely.

I also moved the site mobile.jivetreasurebox.com. I'll have a go with
GitHub...

Alan