I'm not an expert on ipmitool, we use our Compass GUI instead. I've seen
setting and retrieving the shelf location  done as a raw command to
IPMItool.

Another option is instead of using the PICMG 3.0 shelf location is use
one of the PICMG 3.0 IP address records that is accessed using PICMG 3.0
R3 Table 3-36 Get Shelf Manager IP Addresses command. The address record
for the DHCP server can not be at index zero(byte two in the request
command).

Hank
h...@jblade.com