Dan,
Jim is correct that in the context of ipmitool a sensor reading is
available.
If It is not ok  there was a bus error, IPMC at the IPMB was removed or the
sensor is undergoing initialization. All situations where the sensor
Event1, Event 2 or Event 3 data is unavailable
If you get an ok then you can then process the data according the Compact
or Full sensor record.
Hank Bruning
JBlade