From: Olafur Gudmundsson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ENDS0

> I discussed this with the IPng WG chairs yesterday, and
> one of them suggested that the message-size draft actually mandate
> EDNS0 for hosts with IPv6 installed. This is a stronger requirement
> than I was willing to make, but the other chair suggested to
> ask the working group if they thing this is a good idea.

Just for clarification. Does this mean dropping my proposal? Or pick
up both and put them into a draft of IPv6 host requirement?

> Discussions on if EDNS0 should be mandated for IPv6 capable hosts
> should take place here on ipng mailing list.

OK.

I would like to propose as follows:

(1) DNS resolvers MUST implement EDNS0 if they support IPv6 transport
    or AAAA/A6. Such resolvers SHOULD specify 2048 (*1) bytes as
    buffer size to servers. (This requires larger IPv6 reassemble
    buffer than the minimum, ie 1500.)

# (*1) need to discuss an appropriate size

(2) DNS servers MUST implement EDNS if they support IPv6 transport or
    AAAA/A6. They MUST assume client's buffer size is 1024 (*2) if
    clients doesn't specify their buffer size by ENDS0.

# (*2) 1024 comes from the IPv6 minimum MTU, 1280 = 256 + 1024.

--Kazu