>> Mark explained this idea to me in Pittsburgh and once I finally
>> understood it, it seemed extremely useful at a very low cost.
>> Essentially, you'd leave the A6 records for the shortest global
>> prefixes alone, but put site-local and, if you wish, link-local
>> prefixes into your DNS, putting a DNS name of your choice into the
>> final A6 record with prefix length=0.  Example:
>> $ORIGIN example.com.
>> myhost          A6 64 ::1234:5678:9abc:def0 subnet-one.ip6
>> subnet-one.ip6  A6 48 0:0:0:1::  ip6
>>                 A6  0 fe80:0:0:: link-one
>> ip6             A6 48 0::0       example-com-usa.ip6.my-isp.net.
>>                 A6  0 fec0:0:0:: usa-hq
>> yourhost     A6 64 ::0246:8ace:1357:9bdf subnet-two.ip6
>> subnet-two.ip6  A6 48 0:0:0:2::  ip6
>>                 A6  0 fe80:0:0:: link-two
>> herhost         A6 64 ::048c:159d:26ae:37bf subnet-eins.ip6
>> subnet-eins.ip6 A6 48 0:0:0:1    ip6de
>>                 A6  0 fe80:0:0:: link-eins
>> ip6de           A6 48 0::0       example-com-de.ip6.andere-isp.de.
>>                 A6  0 fec0:0:0:: de-site
>> usa-hq          TXT "There need not be any record at this label."
>> de-hq           TXT "There need not be any record at this label either."
>>
>> So now if myhost looks up yourhost it gets a site-local address as
>> well as a global address.  The last RR of yourhost's site-local A6
>> chain has the same "prefix name" field as the last RR of myhost's
>> site-local A6 chain, so myhost can conclude that yourhost is on the
>> same site.  Similarly, it can conclude that yourhost is not on the
>> same link as my host, and that herhost is not on the same link or
>> site.

        Matt, did you intentionally pick linklocal address as the example
        above?  I don't think you should put linklocal address onto globally
        reachable DNS name tree.  even site-local is questionable too.
        or do you expect some magical code in name server to filter fe80::
        prefixes out from remote queries?

itojun