Hi Richard,

I was talking to Vlad Yasevich here at Compaq about
your spec. Vlad has detailed knowledge about how
getaddrinfo is implemented and understands Xnet
issues far better than I. After discussing how
the implementation works and what the likely
impacts of your spec are, we decided to make the
following additional comments.

 1) We believe use of source address selection results
    during destination address selection is probably
    going to cause more trouble than its worth for
    the following reasons:

    o Under the socket API, destination address
      selection is performed by getaddrinfo.
      getaddrinfo does not have sufficient
      information to perform source address
      selection accurately every time, particularly
      on multi-interface nodes.

    o getaddrinfo is already a very complex function
      with its requirement to handle all sorts of
      address family and protocol combinations. It
      will be difficult to specify these additional
      requirements in the context of all the other
      getaddrinfo requirements. The likelihood Xnet
      would accept such a change is questionable.

    o In IPv4, getaddrinfo is capable of sorting
      destination addresses according to a list of
      address prefixes stored in /etc/resolv.conf.
      This is similar to the prefixes in your
      precedence table. There should be no problem
      selecting the correct destination address if
      this table is defined correctly (more on that
      later).

    We ask that you remove rules 1 and 3 from
    destination address selection.

 2) We believe implementations should default to prefer
    higher scope destination addresses over lower scope
    destination addresses. Global scope destination
    addresses are most likely to be reachable when given
    the limited information getaddrinfo has available.

    As for the desire to allow some sites to avoid
    renumbering problems through the use of site-local
    destinations, we believe other methods make just as
    much sense:

      o Use a separate namespace for an organization's
        key site-local addresses.

      o Define the destination address precedence
        table on each node in the site to prefer site-
        locals. Yes, there is no way to easily do this
        now, but it is something that could be added
        through a future tool.

 3) You mentioned in a previous message that you were going
    to remove scoped addresses from your default precedence
    table. This sounds like a good idea. It would allow us
    to "prefer lower scope source addresses" and "prefer
    higher scope destination addresses" at the same time.
    If you do this, I think the precedence table should take
    priority over the "prefer higher scoped destination
    addresses" rule.

Ken Powell
Compaq Computer Corporation