I won't go in too deep on the reasons why but in the end I ran out time
basically and lack of interest. The entire explanation is quite lengthy.
Anyway I'm finding out who owns the actual IP rights now. But the last
time Manning asked I told them that in an ideal situation this book
would be a gift to the ironruby community, shared under a creative
commons license.

if it turns out that manning is planning to make the pdf available for
download then fine. if it turns out that I have the rights to the
content then I'll make the raw word documents available as a pdf book.

Cheers
Ivan