I used a literal "~" and changing this to "$HOME" solved the problem, thanks!

cheers

chris

PS: Is it just me or is Isabelle/jEdit really much faster than ProofGeneral/emacs when loading theories? (Maybe this is due to some other difference between Isabelle2011-1 and the repo version; I only use emacs if I have to stick to Isabelle2011-1.)