This view is correct, but it is not the whole story. Since the system maintains a graph of interpretations and follows them transitively, the effect achieved by

  sublocale locale < expression

is much like

  instance class < sort

of the old user interface to type classes. This relationship is discussed in the new paper (Section 5.2).

Clemens

Quoting Tobias Nipkow <nip...@in.tum.de>:

Let me just make some remarks as a user. At ITP 2011 I published a paper
http://www21.in.tum.de/~nipkow/pubs/itp11.html where I showed how to use locales
to structure stepwise development of modules (see p11). In that context I
intentionally used the notation

interpretation (in A) B-expr

instead of sublocale in an implementation step. Of course I comment on the
deviation in the notation saying that I have chosen this variation of
interpretation because it is more intuitive (see p10). I do find it more
intuitive because it tells me clearly what is going on: some locale expression
is interpreted in some locale. And this is also how you explain sublocale in
your locale tutorial. Hence Florian's suggestions made a lot of sense to me.

Tobias