"multiplicity" is definitely interesting; we could then probably define the "order" of a root of a polynomial in terms of "multiplicity", which simplifies things a bit.

I don't see why is_prime should require an algebraic_semidom; the definition of prime elements makes sense in any commutative semiring.

Factorial rings (also known as unique factorisation domains) usually demand that any non-zero element can be written as a (finite) product of prime factors and a unit. This representation is necessarily unique modulo associativity/commutativity.

Intuitively, I would think that in a normalization_semidom, this implies that every non-zero element only has finitely many normalised divisors, but I am not completely sure about this. However, this would imply that your current definition is, in fact, equivalent to the standard mathematical one, at least in the context of the (somewhat non-standard) normalization_semidom.

Cheers,

Manuel