Just to clarify: the merging problem was the result of certain lemmas that had been moved around among 3 theories (Determinants, Change_of_Vars and Finite_Cartesian_Product) by Fabian simultaneously with me tagging the theories.( Even though I did pull several times daily.) Simple merging did not work and two Isabelle experts from this list to whom I mentioned the problem via email wrote back that merging
theories when content has been moved around can be problematic.
Indeed it required diffmerge as Larry wrote, so yes, it was a tooling problem.

Thanks everyone for your input,

Angeliki

On 2019-01-18 10:44, Lawrence Paulson wrote:
Sorry, I’m to blame for this. When Angeliki mentioned she had merge
conflicts, it turned out she didn’t have diffmerge (or anything
similar) on her machine. By the time I got everything configured and
managed to resolve the conflicts (largely by discarding her work
unfortunately), I unthinkingly pushed the result without testing.

Larry